I’ve really been into the idea of making my own lotions, soaps, and scrubs lately. I’ve always been a pro-organic, shop local/handmade, but not in a “dirty” hippie, free love kind of way. There is something about having a baby that changes the way you think about food and products.
I started making my own detergents and switching to phthalate, phosphate, and sulfate free soaps. Then I switched my shampoo and conditioner to a more natural product. I’ve always wanted to use coconut oil as a moisturizer, but I honestly cannot stand the smell or taste of coconut unless it comes in the form of coconut pecan frosting. When P started complaining about his feet after an especially long hockey game, I thought I’d whip up some moisturizing coconut oil scrub for his tired and dry feet.
You can choose any essentials oils that you’d like in your coconut oil scrub, but a lot of them are very potent. So don’t overdue it.
1 cup Coconut Oil (preferably organic & unrefined)
1 cup Raw Sugar or Epsom Salt
1 tsp Vitamin E oil (about 10 capsules)
10 drops Orange Essential Oil
5 drops Peppermint Essential Oil
1. Whip coconut oil and vitamin e oil with a stand or hand mixer until fluffy and soft (about 5 minutes).
2. Add essential oils.
3. Stir in raw sugar or epsom salt and package in an airtight container.
4. Use a tablespoon amount on a pumice stone to scrub your tootsies.
As long as your scrub isn’t contaminated with food or the likes, this will keep for months. Coconut oil turns liquid around 80 degrees fahrenheit, so it may start separating in the summer months. Just give it a quick stir before use or store in the fridge. Although this scrub is all natural and completely edible, please don’t eat it and keep it away from kids *just in case*. A bite or two won’t warrant a call to poison control, but it may give you a serious tummy ache, especially if its made with epsom salt.
Some useful facts:
- Coconut oil has anti bacterial and anti fungal properties.
- Peppermint essential oil has analgesic, anti inflammatory and anti-spasmodic properties.
- Orange essential oil is an anti depressant, anti septic, and is anti inflammatory in nature. Shown to increase collagen and blood flow.
- Vitamin E oil is a powerful and versatile anti oxidant and natural preservative.
I think those properties in my coconut oil scrub create a win win for dry and tired winter feet. Don’t you? Also, I can completely tolerate and can barely smell the coconut oil in this product. Bummer for you coconut smell (pina colada) loving folks 😉
Have you tried making any natural products using coconut oil?
P.S. I’m finalizing details on an awesome giveaway for the mothers/ladies out there. It’ll be a winner takes all giveaway with multiple prizes. Details soon!!!!