In my effort to live a much healthier lifestyle and to make sure our family eats lots of veggies, I’ve decided to healthify a lot of recipes we love. I stumbled upon this pin on Pinterest from Southern Living.
Of course I had to be a freak and make it even healthier and tweaked the recipe because I didn’t have some of the ingredients on hand. I’m going to be honest here, I’m not a fan of traditional lasagna or cheese. Thankfully the original recipe by Southern Living was veggie based, but cheese was still a big factor. I substituted silkened tofu in place of the ricotta and it turned out UH-MAZING! So here it is!
CCM’S Veggie Lasagna
- Box of no boil lasagna noodles
- 1 (24-oz) jar of marinara sauce
- 1 (15-oz) can of diced tomatoes, drained
- 4 large carrots, steamed and pureed
- 4 medium zucchini sliced thin
- 1 eggplant sliced into 1/4” rounds, roasted
- 1 medium yellow onion, chopped
- 1 (8-oz) package of slice mushrooms
- 4 large cloves of garlic, minced
- 1 (12-oz) package of silkened tofu (the kind people put into smoothies)
- 2 cups reduced fat shredded mozzarella
- 1/2 grated parmesan
- 1 egg, beaten
- 1 TBL Italian seasoning
- Salt/pepper to taste
Directions1. Preheat oven to 450 degrees. Bake zucchini, mushrooms, onions, and garlic for about 10 minutes, stirring once. Place cooked veggies in a colander to drain excess liquid, sprinkle with salt/pepper. Reduce the oven heat to 350.
2. Meanwhile mix the marinara sauce, pureed carrots, and diced tomatoes together in a large bowl.
3. Mix the tofu, 1 1/2 mozzarella, 1/4 cup of parmesan, egg, italian seasoning and a pinch of salt together until well combined.
4. Once the veggies are well drained (about 15 min) you can add the eggplant to the mixture. No you can start layering your lasagna in your 13×9 baking dish.
Layer 1- 1 cup marinara mixture
Layer 2- 3 noodles
Layer 3- 1 cup marinara mixture
Layer 4- 1/3 of your tofu/cheese mix
Layer 5- 1/3 of your veggie mix
Layer 6- (repeat layers 2-5 two more times)
Layer 7- 3 noodles
Layer 8- 1 cup marinara mixtureLayer 9- Top with last 1/2 of mozzarella and 1/4 cup of parmesan
5. Bake covered for 45 min. Remove foil and let the top brown, about 15 min. Let the lasagna sit for 10 minutes before serving. It’ll help the noodles absorb any excess liquid and prevent them from falling apart when you slice.