Everett’s Birth Story – Part 3

Just in case you missed Part 1 or Part 2 of Everett’s birth story.

Warning: This post is about the delivery and all the blood, guts, and glory that come along with it.

As Phil ran red lights and sped to the hospital as safely as possible, I tried to not push. I breathed through the contractions that seemed to come back to back, but the pain I had felt the previous two hours was gone and replaced by pressure. Phil ran through the hospital with staff and nurses telling him to hurry up. The first thing Phil saw as he ran into the delivery room was Everett’s head crowning and I hadn’t even started pushing yet.

Phil was there and it was showtime, but for some reason the urge to push was suddenly gone. As the nurses and doctor told me to bear down during my contractions like I was having a bm, I joked that I ate a lot of fiber and wasn’t the type to strain myself in the bathroom. Totally inappropriate.

The baby wasn’t making any progress after a couple pushes and his heart rate would dip as I pushed, so they pulled out the ultrasound machine to see the position of his head. He was trying to come out sideways instead of face down. My labor had progressed so quickly that he didn’t have enough time to maneuver his body into position. The doctor decided he needed a little help with the vacuum, but when the doctor tried to help pull him out, the vacuum popped off. She said that his thick head of hair wasn’t going to let the vacuum seal properly.

I was relieved that it didn’t work, but he needed to come out and I finally felt the INTENSE need to push. I’m not sure if it was the sound of his heart rate dipping dangerously low or the thought of having another c-section completely sedated that did it, but I knew he was going to come out right then and there.

Earlier they kept telling me to breathe in and push for 10 seconds while holding my breathe, but my body was telling me to do something different. I didn’t have the urge to push before, but it was a different story now. I wanted to push in short bursts and the doctor let me once she realized that my way was more effective after one contraction. As I pushed one last time, Everett started turning as he was coming out. He was born kicking and screaming. A healthy 7lb 3oz baby boy with ten fingers and toes, a button nose, and a head full of dark hair.

Even though my labor was ridiculously quick and I felt zero pain as I delivered, I was exhausted.  I was still in complete shock over how quickly everything had happened. It was so fast that, Phil had to use his cell phone to document the birth. I went from having a scheduled repeat c-section to having an unplanned, unmedicated VBAC. I would do it exactly the same way a thousand times over for my perfect little boy.

Bringing home baby via Craft Crazy Mom

Heading home as a family of four.


    Leave a Reply

    Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

    You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

    CommentLuv badge

  1. 1

    Wow! What an exciting birth story! So many of my friends had really fast second labors (much like yours) that I was terrified to wait to head to the hospital. Thankfully my labor was quick, just not chaotic and quick. I’m glad your husband made it back to the hospital in time!!
    Heather @ What Does She Do All Day? recently posted…Christmas Tree ConesMy Profile

  2. 3

    Congrats Maria! What an incredible birth story! You look amazing in that picture for just having had a baby!!
    Vanessa @ See Vanessa Craft recently posted…merry christmasMy Profile