Everett’s Birth Story – Part 2

Just in case you missed Part 1.

As we were walking out the front door, my contractions were 4 minutes apart, painful, short and completely bearable. We got to the hospital at 3:10 and the 5 minute walk up to the maternity ward seemed like an eternity. I vaguely remember Phil recording me as I had a contraction in the hallway. I was clutching onto the safety rails and Vanessa repeatedly asked if my tummy hurt. Something hurt, but it definitely wasn’t my tummy.

As we walked into the maternity ward, I had another contraction and I clutched onto the rails in the hallway yet again. The nurses got me into a room to monitor the contractions and get checked out as Vanessa and Phil got settled into my recovery room. They asked me to change into my fancy new hospital attire, which I did while I was having yet another contraction, with the doors and curtains open… and I honestly did not care about being modest at that point.

Philip came in the room as the nurses were checking me and they confirmed that I was in active labor and 4cm dilated. I now had to make the decision on whether to attempt a VBAC or to go ahead with the c-section. Either way, it was going to be an hour before the anesthesiologist could give me an epidural or a spinal for a c-section. After Phil and I had a quick talk, we decided that we were going to at least try to have this baby naturally, but not without pain meds. I wanted those asap.

Phil called our back up baby sitter and let them know he was on his way to drop Vanessa off at her house and that I was going to attempt a VBAC. As he was getting ready to leave, the doctor wanted to check me out and I was now 6cm…. and then my water broke. Phil rushed off with Vanessa as I went over paperwork.

My contractions were suddenly more intense and were coming quickly. I honestly don’t remember anything the doctor was saying to me. Since I already went over the scary parts of having a VBAC weeks earlier, I assume that’s what she was talking about. I’m sure I signed my life away and then they had me make my way to the delivery room.

I had been in the hospital for a little over an hour, Phil had been gone for maybe fifteen minutes and it had been just two hours since my first contraction when I had the sudden urge to push. I kept thinking, “this cannot be happening right now”. Where was the anesthesiologist? Where was my husband? Is this really happening? After a quick check… it was indeed happening and was going to happen au natural. The window for pain medication came and went in a matter of minutes and the anesthesiologist was still on his way down.

The nurses found my cellphone in all the chaos so I could call Phil. He said he was driving back to the hospital. I told him the baby was coming. He said he would be there in about 15 minutes. I clarified… the baby was coming, NOW.

Part 3 coming soon!

Sibling Love via Craft Crazy Mom

 This was take a few hours after Everett was born. Needless to say, Vanessa loves her little brother.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge