Something about the holidays makes me want to bust out my huge craft bins and start creating. This year I wanted to do a lot more crafts that my four year old could help with. I love all the paint filled ornaments that have flooded the internet recently, but it’s not something my daughter could do without making a huge mess. I needed something quick with minimal clean up involved. These super easy DIY melted crayon ornaments fit the bill, are practically mess free and you can finish 24 ornaments in as little as 30 minutes.
- 24 Glass Ornaments (tops removed)
- Crayons (peeled)
- 24 Cupcake Liners
- 2 Muffin Tins
- Preheat the oven to 170 degrees.
- Chop up your crayons in ½ inch pieces.
- Line your muffin tin with liners. Place a glass ornament with opening facing upright on each cupcake liner.
- Place 4-5 crayon pieces into each ornament.
- Bake for 15-20 minutes on center rack.
- Remove just one muffin tin and quickly swirl the melted crayon inside the ornaments. Work quickly, the crayons harden fairly fast. Repeat with second muffin tin.
I chopped the crayons and put them in a mini muffin tin. I had my daughter drop the crayon bits into the ornaments and I did the rest for safety reasons. Some of her color combinations resulted in brownish ornaments (not shown). Note: Pink and green are not so pretty when melted together.
I noticed that lighter colored crayons took the longest to melt and dark colors melted faster. Just something to keep in mind when you put you color combinations together.
Also, I pulled the muffin tin out with a mitten, but swirled each ornament with pair of thin gloves on. It was too difficult to do with a mitten. The melted crayon dries quickly, so work fast.
Are you crafting with your little ones this holiday season? I’ve got a few more ornaments and some easy crafts up my sleeve. I love the holidays!
Now go make yourself some DIY melted crayon ornaments already!
All images edited with AJP Workflow Actions