Raise your hand if you’re a fan of eggs, caramelized onions and gorgonzola cheese. I love, love, LOVE all three. If you’re not a fan of strong stinky cheese, just substitute it with something milder. I highly recommend serving this over some fresh baby arugula with a light vinaigrette or a balsamic reduction. It’s amazing together. Trust me.
Caramelized Onion Quiche – Makes one 9” pie.
Pie crust (I used two store bought, pressed together)
4 small yellow onions thinly sliced
1 TBL butter
1/2 tsp salt
4 oz. gorgonzola or blue cheese
6 large eggs
1/2 cup milk
1 TBL Dijon mustard
1 tsp garlic powder or fresh minced garlic
Pinch of black pepper
1. Caramelize onions with butter and salt over medium low heat, stirring every few minutes until nice and dark golden brown, 30-45 min. The salt really helps reduce the onions. Add a little bit of water if onions look dried out. Let it cool to room temp.
2. Preheat the oven to 375. Press chilled pie crust into a greased 9” pie pan. Prick the bottom of the crust with a fork every half inch.
3. Sprinkle cheese onto the crust, then onions.
4. Whisk eggs, milk, mustard, garlic powder and black pepper until well combined. Pour on top of cheese and onions.
5. Pop in the oven and bake uncovered for 45-50 minutes when the crust is browned and the eggs have set.
6. Let the quiche cool for 15-20 minutes before serving.
I know this seems like a labor intensive recipe, but it really isn’t. I mostly left the onions alone and stirred between playing with chalk and dancing with toddlers to “Rockstar” Elmo. So know that it can be done if you have kids! This was a perfect little lunch meal. Filling, delicious, and keeps well in the fridge.
I just started committing myself to shoot in only manual mode… forever. So please excuse the fact that this photo in blurry and concentrate on how delicious baby arugula is with this quiche. Mmmmkay? Thanks!
Hoping you have an amazing weekend!