Antique Dresser Facelift

I know I promised a memo board tutorial, but I keep forgetting to take a photo of the finished product (it’s in my daughters room). I only seem to remember when the little monster is napping and I know better than to wake the beast while she slumbers.

Crap phone picture and yes, that’s a swim noodle turned into a fireplace bumper. It works, try it.
Anyway, I’ve been doing all sorts of projects lately. My most recent has been a major overhaul on an antique I found at Goodwill. I saw it earlier in the week and knew I had to have it. Being my cheap self, I waited until the weekend so I could take an additional 10% off. Check her out:

BEFORE
* Don’t judge my nasty garage floor, we rent, it came that way. Judge me for the hoard in the background.*
I really loved this dresser because it’s a little feminine and sleek at the same time. Did some research and found out that “Amelie” (that’s her new name) was built sometime in the 1940′s. I seriously contemplated restoring her, but I hate that color. Plus, there was some serious nastiness going on.
I was dealing with a possible cat attack and MOLD?!?! WTF! I was seriously hating myself for not inspecting her backside. I braced myself, put on my mask and got my ammo. Spray bottle filled with bleach & water, rubber gloves, paper towels, & sunshine.

I sprayed every little nook and cranny to make sure I killed all that mold. I let it set for about 5 minutes then wiped all that grossness away. Then I let the sunshine dry out the water & prevent more mold growth. I had to repeat in a few spots, but eventually she was fungus free.

Check out my new hall/entry way dresser now!

AFTER

I apologize for the terrible lighting, but we were experiencing serious overcast here in the Monterey Bay area. You know, the usual.

I stripped all the finish off, sanded, stained & painted. The top in done in Minwax’s Ebony, the bottom is Martha Stewart’s Cumulus Cloud (very light grayish blue) & the pulls got a nice coat of oil rubbed bronze spray paint. I painted the centers on the pull with some silver acrylic paint I had in my stash. Couple coats of poly & she was finished.

I had a hard time bringing myself to distress her with sandpaper, so I gave her a little bit here and there. Every time I pass this beauty all I can think about it is getting my sandpaper out. It’s going to happen eventually I’m sure, but I think it’ll do for now.

What do you think? Sand or not to sand?

Comments

  1. 1
    Orangies Attic says:

    LOVE it… and you are lucky, she would not have last 10 minutes in my Goodwill. Antique vultures around here!

  2. 2
    Craft Crazy Mom says:

    @Orangies Attic
    I know! They can get pretty bad here also. I spotted a piano bench early in the morning and went back for it at five and it was gone. *tears*

  3. 3

    IT'S GORGEOUS! Wish I had this talent!

  4. 4

    *your talent* haha!

Trackbacks

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

You may use these HTML tags and attributes: <a href="" title=""> <abbr title=""> <acronym title=""> <b> <blockquote cite=""> <cite> <code> <del datetime=""> <em> <i> <q cite=""> <strike> <strong>

CommentLuv badge